The regulations governing the development of the off-grid electrification sector in Mozambique, which were drawn up as part of the Brilho program and to which MARGE made a major contribution, along with all the other project partners, were approved by the Government at the end of May 2023.
These regulations cover all areas related to the off-grid sector:
- Regulation on mini-grid tariffs which aims to establish the parameters for the application of tariffs for concessionaires
- Regulation on technical and safety standards which defines the standards applicable to electrical equipment and installations for mini-grids and stand-alone systems)
- Regulation on service quality and commercial relations which establishes the quality regime to which the service provided by mini-grid concessionaires is subject, and governs commercial relations between the concessionaire and its customers.
- Regulation concerning the interconnection of mini-grids which sets out the terms, conditions and procedures applicable to the interconnection of mini-grids to the national electricity grid.
- Model registration certificate for energy service providers
- Regulations for the award of concessions for mini-grids
The approval and publication of these instruments completes the process of developing a regulatory framework conducive to private sector participation in the off-grid electrification sector in Mozambique.